Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Polar Bear YouTube Videos, Books, and Activities

Polar bears and winter are common themes during this time of the year.  If you need some video resources, online books, magazines, or a live web cam to help enhance your polar bear thematic unit, then this post is for you. I always use short videos as a hook when introducing new content to my students. Real photographs and short video clips engage young children and peak their interest and curiosity. They love to see the "real thing."



Here are some resources that I found on my search for great content videos on YouTube and the internet. I've included a link to an informational text article from a National Geographic Explorer along with links to other resources including an adorable art project that allows for your children's creativity to shine.  Remember you can sign up by email to received my future updates and blog posts.










This video talks about animal adaptations. The polar bear segment begins around the 7 minute mark and continues until the 11 minute segment. It compares and contrasts a polar bear vs. a brown bear. This would be a great way to use venn diagram to chart the differences. Young children could have a clipboard and paper to draw the differences while watching the video.

 


 

National Geographic for Kids has information about polar bears and a short video too. Click HERE.

Check out this  National Geographic Young Explorer Back Issue 2008 for an online magazine article that can be read to the children by clicking on the buttons.

The San Diego Zoo has a polar bear cam, video, and other information. Click HERE.




World Wildlife Fund has a wonderful FREE app that is about endangered animals.  They have information, videos, and more about polar bears.  Click HERE for a link to the app.

Polar Bear Polar Bear Turn Around is a cute poem featured on Twiggle Online Magazine. Click HERE.

The Three Snow Bears by Jan Brett is currently a featured FREE book on WE GIVE BOOKS.org.

Read The Three Snow Bears to your students.  Discuss and list the experiences of the characters in The Three Snow Bears on chart paper.  Discuss and list the facts and details from the informational resources above on another chart. Use these charts to make a venn diagram comparing and contrasting polar bears in the literature to the polar bears in the informational text.


Whimsy Workshop has the most adorable tutorial for drawing a polar bear on her blog. Love, love, love!  Click HERE.

I hope this collection of resources make your planning over the next few weeks easier.  Have fun teaching about polar bears.  Don't forget to sign up by email so you don't miss any blog posts or resources.

If you are interested in online resources for penguins, visit my All About Penguins blogpost.

Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

  1. I am so glad I found your site. It is so refreshing to find a blogger who shares ideas freebies and who is not strictly out there to sell product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do sell products but I try to limit my blog to mostly free resources to help teachers. I like to make planning and sharing information the focus of my blog. Thanks for noticing that :) I hope you visit again soon.

      Delete
  2. You are two weeks early! I do a weekly linky with my blog called Thematic Thursday. This week's theme is winter. Next week, we'll tackle Penguins, and the following week is all about bears. I will link back to this post in my post because these are GREAT resource ideas!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks for sharing about your Thematic Thursday. I will start drop by your blog and check it out. Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  3. This is awesome. I am currently looking for resources like this for my students to investigate and research animals of a Polar habitat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog Terry! Glad this will be useful for your students research.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing the tutorial! I love these sweet polar bear videos and can't wait to share them with my class. Thanks Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your tutorial is just awesome. Love the children's individuality shining through their artwork. You are truly a gifted artist :)

      Delete