Friday, August 8, 2014

Listening and Learning Activities with Pete the Cat

Pete the Cat books are not only perfect for the first of the school year, but all year long.   I especially like to begin the first day of school with Pete the Cat:  I Love My White Shoes and Pete the Cat: I'm Rocking in My School Shoes.  The first provides a framework for building your classroom community.   Young children can connect to Pete the Cat's character as an example for what to do when things don't go as planned.

CIRCLE TIME GAME
                                  

You will need a Pete the Cat Puppet, Pete the Cat Stuffed animal, or this DIY Pass Pete (Directions below).  Have your students sit in a circle.  Introduce the chant.

Hi there Pete the Cat.
Go see ___________.
Scat!

Teacher models how this will look during circle time.  Teachers looks at Pete the Cat as if giving him directions.  Teacher then passes Pete to the person on the left when she says, "Scat!" This student nows says the chant.

Hi there Pete the Cat.
Go see (student on left side).
Scat!

Play continues until Pete gets passed around to everyone and makes it back to the teacher.  This game is great as a "Getting to Know You" routine and learning each other's names.

BUMP IT UP

When the students have masted this activity, place your students' pictures or name cards inside the Pass Pete container.  Teacher models activity.

Teacher draws out a name card.
Teacher reads the name card.
Teacher inserts the name of student in the chant.

Hi there Pete the Cat
Go see Kathy.
Scat!

Teacher takes Pass Pete to the child (Kathy).  This student (Kathy) draws a card and repeats the same steps.  Play continues until all names have been read.

DIRECTIONS FOR MAKING PASS PETE


1. Use an empty cylinder Kleenex container.  Have you seen these Kleenex containers?  I love them and have been collecting them.  You know you're a teacher, when you save your trash and turn it into treasure :)  You could also use an empty Pringles can.

2.  Cut yellow paper to fit the height of the container.  

3.  Wrap the yellow paper around the container and secure with tape or glue.  I used yellow masking tape to secure this one.  

4.  Download a copy of this printable to use for Pete's head.

5.  Trace the head on blue paper and make a tail out of the blue paper.

6.  Cut out yellow eyes and fill in with a black marker.

7.  Laminate the head for durability.

8.  Glue the Pete's head to the front of the container.

9.  Optional:  Add 4 pieces of velcro to the front of the container and on 4 buttons.

10.  Connect the buttons to the velcro.

11.  You can make a Pass Pete Stick using a paint stick, yellow tape, buttons and the same head.  Laminate the head for durability and secure to the paint stick.  I used velcro to attach the head and the buttons.

GETTING TO KNOW YOU BIG BOOK




Here is a big book you can make after reading Pete the Cat Books. Click HERE for FREE big book printable.
8 1/2 x 11 Option and 1/2 Size Option for Just Right Reading

Directions are included in the download above.

I hope you've enjoyed today's post and have a new whole group game along with a connection to reading and writing too.   How do you use Pete the Cat in your classroom?  Let us all know in the comment section below.

Amazon links provided for your convenience.  Pete the Cat books are now available on the Kindle and can be put on the iPad through the Kindle app.
                                  
    



MORE PETE THE CAT

Do you want more ideas on using Pete the Cat in the classroom?  Sign up by email (top right corner of my blog) so you don't miss my next 2 posts with MORE Pete the Cat FUN.  Check out my other posts with Pete the Cat ideas.

Following Directions with Pete the Cat

And stop by PreK Pages for even more Pete the Cat ideas. 



5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your ideas! My 3 yr. olds love Pete the Cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog. I think I might be the biggest "Pete the Cat" fan of all :) Have fun with your students.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this! I can't wait to try it out with my new group. By the way, I tried to pin this post but it said the image was too small to pin. Just thought I'd let you know. I saved the link instead of pinning it so I can find it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this! I can't wait to try it out with my new group. By the way, I tried to pin this post but it said the image was too small to pin. Just thought I'd let you know. I saved the link instead of pinning it so I can find it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article ! Speaking of which , if your company is searching for a Residential Lease Agreement 2 , my husband filled a template form here http://pdf.ac/4CEkvC.

    ReplyDelete