Saturday, July 19, 2014

Teaching Students to Ask and Answer Questions

Teaching students to ask and answer questions can be hard, especially for young children.  Ask any kindergarten teacher, and they will tell you that many do not know the difference between asking a question and answering a question.  Our students need strategies to learn these skills.  Let's teach it in a concrete way, so they will understand the concept of asking and answering questions. 

So what do you need for this HANDS ON Lesson?  

FLIP FLOPS
THEY ARE ON SALE NOW!
YOU CAN FIND THEM AT MICHAEL'S FOR $1.00.
USE YOUR TEACHER DISCOUNT TOO.
WRITE A "Q" ON ONE (QUESTION).
WRITE AN "A" ON THE OTHER (ANSWER).

HERE WE GO! This is a fun, hands-on way of teaching students how to ask and answer questions.  Begin with a Whole Group - "I Do" lesson. 


Hold up the Q flip flop.  
(Ask a question that requires a yes or no answer.)
Do you like pizza?
Hold up the A flip flop.
Answer yes or no.

Model again.
Hold up the Q flip flop.
Ask a Question.
Hold up the A flip flop.
Answer yes or no.

Now it's time for the "We Do" part of the lesson.  Call up a student to help play the game.

Teacher hold ups the Q flip flop.
Asks a question.
Student holds up the A flip flop.
Answers question.
Call up another student to play with you.
Repeat procedures above.

Make sure you are asking yes and no questions to teach procedures first.
You will have time to merge this concept over into higher level thinking skills after they learn the procedures.

Now switch places with another student.
Let the students practice in front of the class.
Assist as needed.

Depending on the age of your students you can continue in this format for several days - weeks until they can master yes and no questions.  When they have mastered this process, move to the "They Do."


Next, merge this procedure into your turn and talk or think-pair-share times.  It is also great to use with partner reading.  One person reads and holds the "A flip flop".  When finished, the buddy, who is holding the "Q flip flop," will ask a question about the story to check for comprehension.  Students then reverse roles.

So let's sum this up again:






I'm sure you are thinking of all the ways you can use this strategy for your specific grade level and subject area.  Remember to model and practice the procedures first.  Start slowly.  Teach yes and no question first. Give the students sample questions or prompts to guide their questioning as needed.  And BUMP IT UP for the older students or as they become more proficient.  How long can they keep their conversations going by asking and answering questions?


If you liked this blog post, please consider following me on Face Book, Pinterest, or Teachers Pay Teachers. You can also sign up by email to receive instant blog updates. The "sign up by email" is at the top of my blog on the right side.

Check out the other "Bright Ideas" for July below.  The comment section is after the Bright Ideas Linky. 



14 comments:

  1. Love this! Perfect timing with all the flip flop sales right now :)
    http://katesclassroomcafe.blogspot.com/
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michaels has great color options too! Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  2. Such wonderful ideas. Thanks for Sharing.
    Arlene
    LMN Tree

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to grab some flip flops! How cute!

    Sally from Elementary Matters

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw you give this example at I Teach K! I fell in love with it!! I just got back from Michael's for their flip flop sale!! I'm so excited!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan! YAY!!! I told some teachers I would blog about it to help them remember how to do it. I'm heading to Michael's tomorrow for some more flip flops :) Thanks for coming to my session and for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  5. Kathy,
    Thank you for making our NEAEC Conference 2014 a successful day of learning and growing! I had so much fun in your sessions and learned so much! Your math games and manipulatives are fantastic and your flip the five and ten frames are GENIUS!!!
    Thank you!
    Sally Landers
    Reading/Instructional Coach
    Big Spring Lake Kindergarten
    sallylanders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally! It was great meeting you Thursday. I am so glad I was invited to present at your wonderful conference and school. All of the teachers were so enthusiastic. I'm glad you liked the "Flip the 5 and 10 Frames." Giving God the credit for inspiring that idea. Have a fantastic school year!

      Delete
  6. I am thankful to you for providing the knowledge about the teacher’s day. The speech

    on teacher’s day is also very encouraging and is useful for me in preparing my own

    teachers day speech.


    http://www.myteachersday.in/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thankful to you for providing the knowledge about the teacher’s day. The speech

    on teacher’s day is also very encouraging and is useful for me in preparing my own

    teachers day speech.


    http://www.myteachersday.in/

    ReplyDelete