Saturday, May 17, 2014

Let it Go: End of the Year Teacher Tips for Staying Positive

Teachers can become overwhelmed and stressed at the end of the school year. This "Bright Ideas" blog post contains a "How To List" of teacher tips to help make your end of the school year a more positive experience.

If you are feeling the demands of the job from end of the year assessing, changing grade levels, getting reassigned, adopting a new curriculum, adjusting to ever-changing standards, or dealing with a full moon, I hope you find some strategies that will help you refocus on the positive.

But just for fun let's look at some strategies that are usually suggested to help people stay calm, happy, positive, and healthy. I'm going to apply them to teachers.


I made light of the chart above, but in all honesty, I understand why we sometimes aren't as cheery as other times. After all, the end of the school year is busy, stressful, and emotional.  Sometimes that leads us down a negative spiraling path. How do I know that?  I've "been there done that."

How to Stay Positive During High Stress Situations


My youngest daughter has Down Syndrome, Type 1 Diabetes, and Celiac Disease.  Each one of these can be stressful on its own.  Put them all together on a bad day, and it can be overwhelming and isolating.  Raising a child with special needs for 21 years has taught me to not sweat the small stuff and to always try and reframe the negative into a positive.  So let's apply these same strategies that I learned from raising a child with special needs and tweak them a little for our role as teachers. 




Tessa's life can be challenging due to the medical complications of diabetes and celiac disease, especially when we prepare for transitions to new experiences and change.  But the most important thing my family has learned is:


Surround yourself with as many positive friends that you can.  That way, when the job gets overwhelming, one can be the cheerleader for the other and continue on your journey.  We just got back from Special Olympics this week.  The planning of gluten free meals, medication, and scheduling can be exhausting.  I could complain.  I could be negative.  I could say it's not worth it.  But if I reframe it, I realize very quickly that moments like these are only possible when we believe in our hearts that they are truly worth it and keep smiling. After all, I have the greatest role model below as she never complains through it all.


We have "Tessa-isms" around our house.  We keep track of her favorite words, phrases, and quotes.  She says this one to everyone, including me.  :)  She wants everyone to be happy, and she is quick to remind us to . . . "Be nice to the people."   As you finish out your school year, remember that emotions run high when we are tired.  We can overthink things.  We have enough negativity to deal with in our teaching lives from some who have never stepped into our classrooms.  Let's stand together. Remember to breathe, laugh, smile, enjoy your last days with your students, and always, always . . . 


Thank you for visiting my blog.  If you have enjoyed today's post please consider following me on Face Book, Pinterest, or Teachers Pay Teachers for more ideas for the early childhood classroom.

The graphics in my pictures above are from Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Designs and Whimsy Clips.   The fonts are by Hello Literacy.

Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful summer!  

For more Bright Ideas, please visit the AMAZING blogs below.  



20 comments:

  1. Thank you for these great ideas for staying positive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog Brenda. We are all in this together :) Keep on smiling and laugh some too.

      Delete
  2. A fantastic reminder for this time of year - still have 6 weeks to go and I'll use these ideas to make them full of positivity. Love the way you've presented the ideas visually as well - thank you!
    Susanna
    Whimsy Workshop Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6 weeks to go!!! You can do it Susanna :) Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful spirit! I love surrounding myself with the glass is "half full" type of people:) Working on #3! Thanks for sharing.

    Tammy from The Resourceful Apple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #3 is the hardest! Being Scarlet O'Hara and worrying about it another day works wonders. I play the song "Let it Go!" frequently too. Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  4. Kathy, this is a beautifully written post. Your Tessa is a precious soul, and I admire you even more knowing this is the driving force behind your positive, happy attitude! Thank you for the boost!
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maggie for your sweet words. Tessa is indeed my driving force of reframing. Her smile keeps me going. I read on your post that you just finished your school year. Enjoy your summer and try to take some time for you.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the reminder to stay positive. This time of year *is* difficult, and this one in particular for me, so this post came at a perfect time. Enjoyed it immensely. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a hard year for many, many teachers. Hang in there. Know that you are appreciated for what you do. Smile, laugh out loud, and Let it Go!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for being such a positive influence! Making someone else's day is a great way to lift our own mood- great reminder. Your daughter is beautiful!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori! I think she is beautiful too :) I love to do the anonymous good deed and watch those teachers smile. It's the little things that keep us going. And it lifts my spirit too.

      Delete
  7. Well timed ideas! I think I knew these strategies, but I need reminders! Your little one is a cutie!

    Sally from Elementary Matters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sally we all need reminders while in the trenches. We have so much going on during the last few weeks, we forget to breath, smile, and laugh? Thanks for the Tessa compliment! I think she is a cutie too :)

      Delete
  8. This is such an inspiring post! Thank you Kathy! You are so right about everything. Sometimes we can get caught up in the small stuff, but if we try to spin it positive or make someone else's day or just try to laugh, it changes everything! Your daughter is beautiful and SO lucky to have you as a mom! I love people with your positive attitude. :)
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sweet Sarah - my new name for you :) Yes, it's the little stuff that gets to us when we feel like we are losing control over the situation and dealing with all that is required at the end of the school year. Making someone else's day helps me forget about those things. Thanks for reading my blog.

      Delete
  9. Kathy,
    Thank you for such a sweet reminder of WHY we need to stay positive. I appreciate every tip and plan on taking these ideas/tips with me each day to work for my last 14 days. Thank you! Your daughter is beautiful! I can see the positivity radiating off of her. It's contagious.
    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 14 MORE DAYS!!! You're right in the midst of the madness. You CAN do it! Enjoy your last few days with your students and have a wonderful summer. Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  10. Kathy,
    I stumbled upon your blog tonight and boy did I need to hear your message about staying positive during a difficult time. I am facing reassignment after 18 years in the same classroom teaching the same grade. I am not looking forward to the change and truly am stressed about it. But your blog really gave me some encouraging words. I will try to focus on the positive and accept the change no matter how difficult. Thanks for writing this blog. You have helped me more than you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you visited my blog tonight. Change is so very hard. 18 years in the same classroom at the same grade level is a big step. You CAN do it! Seek out others that are in your new grade level that are positive and helpful. You need a support system. The great thing about our blogging world is that you can find teachers that can ease that transition by reading about what others are doing in their classrooms. I really learned so much when I changed grade levels. It does move the learning curve, but you will find that a great teacher is a great teacher - no matter the grade level. The skills you are taking with you will be helpful no matter what grade you teach. Good luck in your new adventure. Come back and visit again.

      Delete