Saturday, April 12, 2014

Movers and Shakers: Science in Action

I am joining in on the Bright Ideas Blog Hop just in time for Earth Day.  I always do a "Movers and Shakers" week where we use different materials to make things move and shake.  Today's post is about making a marble run out of recyclable materials to create this open-ended science experiment.

Materials Needed:

1.  Presentation Board - I recycled one from a  previous center.
2.  Toilet Tissue Rolls
3.  Paper Towel Rolls
4.  Kleenex Box
5.  Brads
6.  Hole-Punch

I used a phillips screw driver to poke holes all over the the board.  By doing this the students are able to manipulate and move their parts to create different angles to their creation using inquiry.  They can make adjustments to their predictions or add on to their existing runs.  The sky is the limit.  The presentation board helps it to be stable while the students do their experiments.

Here is a quick video of a successful run.  Keep in mind it took many attempts to be successful.  The students can work independently, but they really enjoy collaborating together.

 

I will be posting more ideas for using science in the classroom along with other ideas for the early childhood classroom. Please consider following my blog on Bloglovin,  Face Book, and Pinterest.


 Looking for some more "Bright Ideas" for your classroom? Check out these awesome blog posts!

2 comments:

  1. That is so fun Kathy! I bet your kids loved that! I have to try that. My class will be so impressed;)
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah your students will have fun moving the rolls around to make design their own. I love to listen to their conversations watch them work collaboratively.

      Delete