Monday, April 21, 2014

Fun Mother's Day Gifts

Are you ready to make some cute Mother's Day gifts with your students?  I love to take pictures of my students to incorporate with their gifts.  You can dress them up or just use the props below. 


Materials needed for girl picture:

1. Large Plastic Flower Pot
I found mine at Lowe's for $9.00 but also saw them at JoAnn Fabrics and Michaels.

2. DIY No Sew Tulle Skirt - Directions at the end of post.
I purchased 2 yards of pink tulle and 2 yards of blue tulle at Hobby Lobby. It was regularly priced at 1.00 a yard.  I used a purple ribbon that I had in my junk drawer "creation station" in my office.  

3.  Butterfly Headband
Dollar Tree 

4.  Flower 
Dollar Tree 
I twisted the wire around the headband.

5.  Poster Board 
Cut into the shape of a circle.  Then cut out a circle inside the middle.  This gives the children a place to slip their hand into like a puppet.  It gives them a better grip to hold up the sun.

6.  Yellow Construction Paper
Trace around your poster board circle and glue to secure. 

7.  Clothespins 
Cut rectangle strips from left over yellow construction paper and glue on top on the clothespins.


8.  Frame Matte 
I purchased this at Hobby Lobby for $1.99.   You could make a frame out of poster board or use an existing old frame.  I chose the paper frame because it was lightweight and easy for them to hold.

9. Copies of "You are my sunshine." "Thank you for helping me grow!" Click HERE to Download.


Here is the "dressed down" version of the same picture without the tulle skirt, headband, or flower.  All that is needed is a "cutie pie" willing to be in the picture.  Love you sweet boy and your mom too!  You are so much fun!

I created a Mother's Day card packet to go along with this picture on my TpT store.  There are several versions to use depending on the age of your students.  You can click on the picture to find out more about this packet.



DIY Tulle Skirt
This one is easy, easy, easy.  If you know me, I do not sew.  I glue gun material.  Seriously.  However, I thought I would take this one on without a glue gun :)  

1.  Fold your material into half.
2.  Cut into long strips about 3-4 inches wide.  They do not have to be perfect.
3.  Lay your ribbon out on the floor.
4.  Tie the strips around the ribbons and make a knot leaving the same amount on each side.  Once again, it does not have to be perfect.  
5.  To make it more secure, tie it in a knot again.  
6.  Continue adding strips until you have the desired amount of material on the skirt.
7.  Fluff the skirt.
I used two different colors to give it a more textured springy look.  


After I experimented with making this skirt, I googled DIY children's tulle skirt.  There are many tutorials on YouTube and on Pinterest to show different versions of how to do this.  Some use a loop method.  Me:  I just tied it in a knot!  I chose a ribbon.  You can use elastic and sew the end pieces together.  Since I am not a a sewer, I chose the ribbon and tied it around the girls' waists.  Easy, cheap, and fun.  They also sell tulle skirts at Michaels and Hobby Lobby for around $12.00-$20.00, but I made mine for $4.00 and had left over scraps to use in a science project - to be posted on later!

Want a chance to win the "Mother's Day Card Fun Art and Writing Printable" for your classroom?  Leave a comment below, and I will choose a winner on Sunday, April 27, 2014. 

Thanks for stopping by!

24 comments:

  1. How CUTE is this??? Oh my goodness, you are going to make all mothers cry for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! I love making memories for families with photos. Tessa and I sing this song to each other all the time. She is my sunshine that inspires me :)

      Delete
  2. So cute! Maybe I read too quickly.... what do you do differently for the boys? Just no tulle skirt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, no tulle skirt. My boys usually just stand in it. Sometimes I put a ladybug puppet on their shoulders as a prop or on the flower pot.

      Delete
  3. This is adorable! I love that it is so original.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You never cease to amaze me Miss Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you never cease to amaze me friend :)

      Delete
  5. I LOVE this...thanks for sharing the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute!
    What do you do for the boys though?? No skirt or headband just the rest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kristin. Just like the little boy (toddler) in the post above. Sometimes I put a ladybug puppet on their shoulder or on the flower pot.

      Delete
  7. Love, love, love this!!! Was looking for a unique idea to a mother's day picture and you nailed it. Thank you for sharing and creating!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Creating memories for our families is so much fun. My children grew up to me singing this song to them. They are my sunshine :)

      Delete
  8. Love this idea! I plan to do this for Mother's Day!! Thanks for the idea and creative inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks for visiting my blog :)

      Delete
  9. SO adorable Kathy! I love this! I want to do this with my students AND send it to my son's teacher. ;) okay, maybe that's totally tacky but I so want this from my son too! Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Sarah! Not tacky at all. Send your props to this teacher when you are finished. His teacher will love that :) I know I would.

      Delete
  10. Love this!!! You are very creative!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this idea!!! I am doing it with my daycare kids and my Sunday school kids for Mothers Day. Just finished the tulle skirt and it turned out cute. Was scared about not cutting it straight but once I tied the tulle on, you could not even notice. I already have the perfect large flower pot. Thanks so much for sharing this idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been looking for new ideas to do with my Kindergarten students for Mother's Day. I always do a terracotta pot with a small plant. I love this idea. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete