Saturday, March 1, 2014

Pete the Cat Reading Comprehension and a FREEBIE

It's Day 5 of Groovy Cat Week!  Today we are going to talk about the book I Love My White Shoes by Eric Litwin and James Dean.  Yep!  It's my favorite all time book.  I am a HUGE fan.  In fact, I remember the first time I saw the book.  I was perusing the book shelves at Barnes and Nobles one summer when I notice the store clerk putting a new book on the display shelf.  And the sign said free song download.  Of course, that caught my attention immediately because I love to teach through music.  I grabbed my iPhone and quickly downloaded the song right there in the store.  The rest is history.  I walked out with 2 copies of the book in my hand.

There is a lot of discussion these days about text dependent questions with the Common Core and kindergarten or 1st grade.  Early childhood teachers are awesome at reading books aloud and asking text dependent questions.  We just need to up our game some and have the children use the text as the evidence when answering these questions.  Here is a way to use evidence from the text to answer questions.  All you need is several post-it-notes and a piece of paper.

Read the story to your students.  Ask them about the character Pete the Cat.  Most students will discuss that he is always happy and he never cries.  When this conversation occurs, I ask them how they know?  Their answer can't be "because I just know."  Ask them to look into the book at the pictures and the words to help them prove their answer.  Use strategies such as "Turn and Talk" to get the students discussing the story.  Pass out clip boards with post-it-notes.  Students can sequence the story showing how Pete the Cat is always happy and has a good attitude.


I also created this game to play during whole group instruction (teaching procedures of the game), guided reading or small group instruction, and as a literacy center.  Directions are included in the download.  I included ABC's which can also be included as sound identification cards along with CVC or short sound 3 letter words.  Choose the skills based upon your students' needs.   I am the type of teacher who likes to transfer games and those procedures over into other content areas.  Once you teach a game, you can change the skills, content, and level of differentiation.  Copy the cards and laminate for durability.  Place in a container.  I use a small blue trashcan to store our words.  Each student will have a game board to place their drawn cards.  Students draw a card and read the word, say the letter, say the sound, name the number, or name the shape depending on the skill you are teaching.  If they draw the "qualifying cards" - "Oh NO," students must put all of their cards back into the container.  If they draw the "It's all good" card, it works like a get out of jail free card.  The student can place that card back into the container but keep all of the other cards.  The player who covers all 5 cards on the game mat wins.  You may choose to play without the game mat.  I use it as it helps the students keep track of how many cards they have collected.  For older students they can fill up 2 game mats.  I do not laminate the game mats.  They can be copied on white paper or colored card stock too.


You may download the FREE game packet HERE.

Don't forget to drop by PreK Pages for some more Groovy Cat ideas.


Here are links to the other posts about the Groovy Cat:

Day 1 Five Days of Groovy Cat Fun and a Pete the Cat Pocket Chart
Day 2 Measuring with Pete the Cat and a Freebie
Day 3 Pete the Cat Math Song and Flip the 5 and 10 Frames Freebie
Day 4  Groovy Cat Sight Word and Math Fluency
Following Directions with Pete the Cat



The clip art from the game comes from:

Click HERE to visit Graphics from the Pond
Click HERE to visit Doodle Dot Illustrations by Stacy Johnson
Click HERE to visit Whimsy Clips









2 comments:

  1. What a CUTE and educational game, thanks so much for sharing! Your post-it idea is genius, it's so much fun to find text evidence with Pete!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! I have enjoyed reading about all of your Pete ideas this week. Thanks for collaborating with me. It was FUN!

      Delete