Sunday, February 2, 2014

Brain Breaks for Winter Days

Welcome to the blog hop "Bright Ideas."  We hope you find some ideas to brighten up these winter months with tips and tricks for your classroom.


It's been a COLD, Snowy, Icy, Rainy type of winter unless you live in the western United States.  And with that comes inside recess and a lot of "togetherness."


How do I manage those types of days?  We move, move, move!  YouTube videos are my friend, and there are so many available to us as teachers.  If you do not have access to technology,  you can play the music portion from your computer just like a CD player.

The first site is Adventure to Fitness.  You can check out their website HERE. Teachers can sign up for free.

Here is an example of one of their adventures.  Learning, moving, and fun all mixed together.

Stephen Fite:  I own this DVD but here is a sample of his music to get your children moving during inside recess or anytime your class needs a movement break.



And of course you can't forget this classic.  Your students will love doing the "Continental Drift."



And if you haven't checked out all of the Wii Just Dance Videos on YouTube, there are too many to link too.  Here is one for the little ones in your class.  But there are dances for all ages, so look around for those that fit your students' ages.



The last link that I would like to show is Story Theater with Miss Booksy.  She does "Cool School Story Time." She is creative and her stories are unique and will keep your students engaged.  Don't just stop with this one, she has many more.  And do what I do, subscribe to her channel to be notified when she adds more.



If you don't know about SafeShare.TV, check out their site to share safe view videos on YouTube.  It will remove all of the ads and put a gray border around the video to put it in safe view.

I put red arrows where you will need to enter information or push a button for a  safe link.
If you are looking for more ways to get your students moving, check out my Pinterest board TECHNOLOGY for more ideas.   Click HERE.


If you are looking for more great ideas, please visit the next blog on this blog hop, written by Valerie Young!  She writes the blog "All Students Can Shine."  She shares some great solutions for copycats.

Photobucket


Check out these other blogs for other bright ideas.

14 comments:

  1. My children are SO SQUIRRLY at this time of the year! :) This was needed! :) Thank you for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my blog Tamara. I am enjoying all of the bright idea blogging tips. I am glad the movement will help your students. I even enjoy the movement myself.

      Delete
  2. Love all the brain breaks!! My students LOVE the Gummy Bear song!

    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April! Isn't the Gummy Bear song a HOOT! P.S. I love to do it too :)

      Delete
  3. We love brain breaks! Our favorite is the Gummy Bear song! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gummy Bear song = Genius movement idea! The dance is so fun. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

      Delete
  4. Holy smokes Kathy - I love these! I will be using some of these for sure. Especially on those dreaded "in" days.

    :) Shelley
    The Perks of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ARE dreaded days, and we are having so many this year. My dream school would have an inside playground where our students could run and play games. Wouldn't that just be AWESOME? Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  5. Love these brain breaks! We have had a lot of inside recess already this year! Thank you for sharing these!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori for visiting my blog. I love your blog BTW! Have fun moving and singing. We all need brain breaks - teachers too.

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh I am always looking for new brain breaks :) What great links, thank you Kathy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH Laura I would love to see you do the Gummy Bear dance :-) I bet you ROCK at it!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the brain break ideas - our afternoon is looooong, so I try to break it up a bit with these. Always glad to have some new ideas! Thanks for sharing! Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic Sara. Why do mornings fly by so fast and the last couple of hours creep by, especially on inside recess days? Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete