Monday, July 1, 2013

Common Core Writing is a SNAP

I'm back!  And to make up for being "missing" from the blogging action I have a FREEBIE just for you!  I'm always thinking of ways to teach the Common Core Standards in an early childhood, developmentally appropriate way.  As I was working with some students on Opinion Writing this past year, I noticed they were having trouble connecting the steps in the writing process. With the Common Core, our students have guidelines included for narrative, opinion, informational, and research writing. 1st grade students (and up) need to use linking words or temporal words to connect their thoughts.  This can be hard for our young students to do abstractly.  So here is where "Writing is a SNAP" was born.

You can use any type of snapping block or cube to make this connection. Mega Bloks and Legos work great for this hands on analogy.  There are several different types out there, and most teachers already have them in their classrooms. You could also use regular snap cubes manipulatives from your math center. I use the analogy of building a building to connect to children's writing.  Some buildings are one story and some are several stories.   Here is the idea behind opinion writing. There are steps to writing an opinion piece.  Each step (block) is connected to the next step (block).  The linking words (top part of the Lego's or Mega Bloks) help connect one thought to the next thought (stories of the building). Without these connections, our building would fall over.  These connections make our building stronger.  Here are the building blocks for Common Core ELA Opinion Writing.

DIFFERENT COMPONENTS OF OPINION WRITING







DIFFERENTIATE FOR YOUR GRADE AND YOUR STUDENTS
It is easy to model, manipulate and differentiate for your students.  They can increase their stamina for writing by adding more thoughts, details, and reasons to their story.  The following is a FREEBIE that I added to my Teachers Pay Teachers store.  Here is a sample of the packet. Click HERE to download the FREE file.



If you like this FREEBIE, check out the complete packet of COMMON CORE WRITING IS A SNAP.  The packet contains building blocks for PERSONAL NARRATIVE, OPINION (contained in FREEBIE), INFORMATIONAL OR HOW TO, and RESEARCH WRITING.  There are more multiple forms for each type of writing including LARGE BLOCKS for ANCHOR CHARTS. 

Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Have fun with your students:-) Thanks for stopping by my blog.

      Delete
  2. I love Legos! What a creative and fun idea, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always another amazing product. We have to teach one of the different types of writing each nines weeks and so this would be great and really help me reinforce the steps, I will be picking this up for sure. I loved emailing with you back in the spring about your verb packet and the kids loved the song and activities. I hate that I will miss Vegas this year but look forward to getting to talk with you again in the future. Thanks again for all you do.
    Alicia Chapman

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your session on anchor charts! Thank you for the awesome ideas. I like how you incorporate music and movement into your instruction. I love your blog and can't wait to start following you.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! It was great meeting you! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm heading over to follow you:-) Have a great school year. Stay in touch!

      Delete