Friday, January 4, 2013

Common Core Math Trains 5 & 10

Hi, my name is Kathy Griffin and I am an information hoarder. WHEW!!! Now that it is out, I have decided my New Year's resolution (besides the typical lose weight) will be to start organizing all of my files, templates, games, pictures, newsletters, etc.  I never delete any of my files, and I have taught 15 years.  And with each new computer, I always back everything up and keep saving.  I even have backups of backups.  The good news is that I am going to start sharing as I organize all of the files.  What better way to motivate me than by giving it to you:)

This activity is fun for the students and easy to create for teachers, which is a win-win situation for everyone. I keep my math games in white dish tubs and place the papers, manipulatives, and directions in the tub.  The students have everything they need in one place.  I usually put this game at a table that accommodates 4 (for kindergarten) and 6 (for 1st grade).  I put only the amount of dice needed in the tub.  This helps keep them accountable for the dice.  If someone doesn't put one back, then there is not enough the next time.  TEACHABLE MOMENT!  That's when we talk about appropriate consequences for taking care of our materials.  They get very good at picking up things on the floor when they drop them as they learn that their teacher is not going to replace it.  When we find things on the floor after centers, we put them into a bucket of our "missing manipulatives."  I randomly pick a day when our bucket starts to get full to start adding back to our games.  Works every time!
Click HERE to download these forms.
And the good news is this game correlates with the following Common Core standards for kindergarten.  First grade students need multiple practice with these numbers in building up to the Common Core standards of addition and subtraction within numbers to 20.

  • Common Core for Kindergarten Operations & Algebraic Thinking
  • Understanding Addition and Subtraction
  • CCSS.Math.Content.K.OA.A.2 Solve addition and subtraction word problems, and add and subtract within 10, e.g., by using objects or drawings to represent the problem.
  • CCSS.Math.Content.K.OA.A.3 Decompose numbers less than or equal to 10 into pairs in more than one way, e.g., by using objects or drawings, and record each decomposition by a drawing or equation (e.g., 5 = 2 + 3 and 5 = 4 + 1).
  • CCSS.Math.Content.K.OA.A.4 For any number from 1 to 9, find the number that makes 10 when added to the given number, e.g., by using objects or drawings, and record the answer with a drawing or equation.
  • CCSS.Math.Content.K.OA.A.5 Fluently add and subtract within 5.
Have fun working with your students on combinations of 5 & 10. Thanks for stopping by!


14 comments:

  1. This is fantastic. This will be great helping my students understand making 10. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs. Parker. I enjoy reading your blog:-)
      Thanks for visiting mine.

      Delete
  2. I love this idea! What great visual representation of what we are actually adding together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY Kristin! I am happy it will work well within your classroom. Have fun and thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! You're a sweetheart:-) That just motivates me that much more to get these files organized and shared.

      Delete
  4. This is great! I was just on the search for new activities for math stations -- this is perfect. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that worked out perfect!!! Have fun with your new math station. Thanks for visiting my blog. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  5. That's really a great one! I love that you have them working with manipulatives, yet they are still held accountable for turning something in (the paper.) To me, that means that the ones that are maybe a wee bit- shall we say, um- (cough) "lazier"- absolutely MUST do SOMETHING. That's the good thing about making them produce something on paper as well as using the manipulatives. (Not that I have ever had any children like that!)
    Love it!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Accountability and kindergarten can sometimes be like oil and water. LOL! Glad you liked it. Hope it helps those few that need a gentle reminder to finish their work. I like to put out rebus direction cards in my centers when possible. Thanks for pinning it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Information Hoarder" Oh my goodness! It is good to know that I am in great company!
    I am following you...I can also use a little more info. I love your blog!
    Laura
    TIPS: Teach, Inspire, and Prepare Students

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the club Laura! Thanks for following my blog:-)

    ReplyDelete