Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Teaching Nonfiction Text Features to Young Children

I wrote a blog post last March that continues to drive daily traffic to my blog.  What was it about?  It was titled Teaching Nonfiction Text Features and the Common Core.  Nine months later, I am amazed at how many teachers visit that post and my Pinterest board.  I am a numbers girl, so it got me thinking that this was a need for early childhood teachers.  Thus, I set out on my journey to create a couple of songs, Power Points, and multimedia files along with a specific unit to teach these features.  And after working on this project for at least 3 months, it is ready!
I have included sample pages that show visually how to use these pages in the unit.  Teachers can pick and choose which features to discuss and cover all from the perspective of the students.  And just for fun, I suggest that teachers create a nonfiction text features book about themselves along the way as a model.  And we all know that our students love that.

These are just a few sample pages that are included with this unit.  The students are able to create a nonfiction text feature book about themselves along with creating class books, nonfiction text feature guides, and recording sheets for research or literacy centers.

You have 2 choices of multimedia files and Power Point templates along with 2 mp3 songs.  If you want to add your students information to the Power Points, then finish the sentences and insert the song.  If technology is not your "cup of tea" then you have the option of playing the multimedia files and letting your students use created cue cards to present their information.

I aligned this unit with the Common Core State Standards for 1st and 2nd grade students.  It can be modified to use parts with kindergarten students as it is based on "All About Me" and can be bumped up to add more details for 3rd grade students.
Click HERE to view this product on Teachers Pay Teachers.  If you have any questions, please let me know.

Here is a quick peek at the multimedia files, songs, and Power Points provided in this unit.
video
Graphics by:
www.thistlegirlsdesigns.com
http://fancydogstudio.com
www.ccteachfirst.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. Would this product work with kindergartners?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would this product work with kindergartners?

    ReplyDelete