Saturday, August 11, 2012

Listening Strategies for the Wiggles

This post is very special to me because it is the result of my experience teaching young children for 15 years.  Do you have students that get wiggly at group time?  OF COURSE!  They are young children, and their attention spans are short.  They tie and untie their shoes.  They twist and turn. Sometimes when you glance up at them while reading them a book, they look like little ants crawling everywhere.

As adults we learn strategies that help us pay attention and to sit appropriately during long meetings (LOL! I know teachers can sometimes be the worst at sitting still during professional development.).  So here is a collection of strategies that I have used with my students over the last few years. Make them an integral part of your classroom procedures, and you will empower them to figure out what helps them focus better. And to make it even more fun and engaging, I recorded 4 new songs to go with it.  You can listen to a sample of the songs by clicking on the video below.
Click HERE to see it on Teacher Pay Teachers
Everything is ready to print to help your children get rid of  their "WIGGLES!" Yay! And tomorrow starts the Back to School Sale on TpT.  All of my products are 20% off August 12-13.  Enter the TpT Sale Code and receive another 10% off of the sale price.  So place it in your shopping cart tonight and be ready for the sale tomorrow.
I got the idea to do this packet when one of my anchor charts that I posted on Pinterest was pinned like crazy.  I thought - Hey we are all in the same position trying to help children retain all of the information that we need to teach.  So I decided to create this packet to help early childhood teachers.  Here is the anchor chart that started it all. I start by teaching the first 2 strategies on the first day of school.  I increase their choices for what to do with their hands over the next few weeks depending on how old they are.  Pre-K and Kindergarten students should learn them slowly and internalize their options.  1st grade and 2nd grade can move at a faster pace. But always remember, if you look up from reading that wonderful book and all of your students are using a strategy, you have been sitting too long :-)  Have a great school year and have fun teaching the strategies.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete