Sunday, August 5, 2012

DIY ABC Letter Tubs and the Common Core

I started making my own letter tubs about 10 years ago after I saw the cute ones in the Lakeshore Learning sales catalog.  I loved them, but for that price, I decided to make my own.  I started out by sending home weekly letters asking for objects that began with a certain letter of the alphabet.  I didn't receive a lot of response from my families and decided to change my letter to just ask for donations of their "small toys."  Sometimes it's hard to find something in the house that begins with an "f" or a "b."  But it you leave your letter open-ended, it makes it easier for parents to donate items to your letter tubs.  

So what can you do with letter tubs?  
*Phonemic Awareness Activities
*Isolate the Beginning Sound
*Isolate the Ending Sound
*Isolate the Middle Sound
*Produce Rhyming Words
*Delete Beginning Sound
*Delete Ending Sound
*Substitute the Beginning Sound
*Substitute the Ending Sound
*Segment Sounds
*Blend Sounds
*Count Syllables
*Letter/Sound Word Sorts
*Blend Word Sorts
*Sorting by Vowel Sound
*Sorting by Digraphs
*Play Guess What's in My Box

Here is a picture of my letter tub boxes and some pictures of the activities,

Here is a sample picture of the newsletter I send home to my families.

Here are the Common Core Standards for Kindergarten and 1st Grade that go along with the letter tubs.

Language Arts - Reading - Foundation Skills - Kindergarten - Phonological Awareness

RR.K.2 Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds (phonemes).

Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Count, pronounce, blend, and segment syllables in spoken words.
Blend and segment onsets and rimes of single-syllable spoken words.
Isolate and pronounce the initial, medial vowel, and final sounds (phonemes) in three-phoneme (consonant-vowel-consonant or CVC) words.
Add or substitute individual sounds (phonemes) in simple, one-syllable words to make new sounds.

Language Arts - Reading - Foundation Skills - Kindergarten - Phonological Awareness

RF. 1.2. Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds (phonemes).

Distinguish long from short vowel sounds in spoken single-syllable words.
Orally produce single-syllable words by blending sounds (phonemes), including consonant blends.
Isolate and pronounce initial, medial vowel, and final sounds (phonemes) in spoken single-syllable words.
Segment spoken single-syllable words into their complete sequence of individual sounds (phonemes).


Go ahead, give it a try.  You'll be glad you did.  But remember, let them play with the letter tubs first before you give them a task to do.  Young children need to explore first.

If you would like a copy of this parent newsletter, email me at kathytps@aol.com or leave your email in the comments section, and I will email it to you. 

Thanks for stopping by. Click on the follow me button to the right.  I have a lot more to share over the next few days, weeks, and months!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy,
    I'm Letty, a Kindergarten teacher, & just heard about your website through KinderGals. I liked your FB page, and read your thoughts on the Common Core. Our district is piloting CCSS in Kindergarten this year. I appreciated what you said in your advice: "Read the standards...Use it as a lens to look at our teaching."

    Here is my email: leticia_lee@etiwanda.org for a copy of your letter tubs letter. We are collecting items as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Letty! Yay I am glad you found my blog. Here's a shout out to Kim at KinderGals. I just sent you the letter. Let me know when you get it. And I am so glad you liked my thoughts on the Common Core. We CAN do this with our early childhood lens. Have fun making your tubs. My students LOVE them.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi- stumpled across your site while footling " items to put in letter tubs". Love the idea of having parents/ students help instead of me trying to find everything. Can you please send me copy of your letter. My email is: scrc@myfmtc.com
    Thanks so much!!
    Christii

    ReplyDelete