Saturday, April 7, 2012

In Memory of My Father

     It's been a tough week with little time to post.  Just a quick note to my readers that I will be posting again starting tomorrow.  My father passed away on Monday after a long battle with cancer, and his funeral was Friday.  
     My father had the ability to make a rhyme or song to anything.  It was one of those things that I thought was really cool when I was little, annoying when I was a teenager, and just a way of life as an adult.
     Well, if you look at my project that began last summer, I would say that I am my father's child.  I have always made up songs to teach my students concepts, but last May 2011, I decided to put it all on the line and create a CD, multimedia files, books, and literacy centers to teach phonemic awareness, phonics, and reading.
     I was fortunate enough to be able to play some of it for my father last fall while he was still able to understand what I had done.  I remember he smiled at me, and then looked at me with tears in his eyes.  
     So I guess to summarize this post, I would like for everyone this week to think about the impact singing has on teaching students.  Singing with your students can help them retain information, put a smile on their faces, and make an impact on their learning.  And if you have one of my songs or multimedia files, play it for your students and think of the man behind the teacher who created it.  Because without his passion, and quirky jingles, I might have never written "Growing Dendrites with Kathy Griffin."


Rest in peace Dad. I am glad you are no longer in pain. I love you.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your father's passing girl. He is now going to watch you keep teaching and shining your light from up high!
    Melissa Leach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melissa for your encouraging words:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad.
    I agree with you that music and learning are a great combination. I can't carry a tune, but I sing with my students all the time.
    Connie@www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete