Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Listening Strategies that Work

I was in travel mode this week with a quick trip to present at the Pennsylvania Kindergarten Conference in Harrisburg, PA, so I didn't have time to blog.  Today's post is an anchor chart that I use in my classroom (minus the clip art) to help my children learn strategies to use when they "have the wiggles."  I spoke about these strategies at my session on Recognizing Red Flags and working with students with special needs in the early childhood classroom.  This anchor chart shows the strategies my students use to help them listen during group time.  I should have a listening strategy song and book released this summer to go with the chart.  Until then, have your students learn these strategies a few at a time and use when they "have the wiggles."  They can work miracles with all of the students in your classroom from Pre-K to 2nd grade.  My suggestion:  Add clipart or student drawings beside the strategies to help nonreaders.  If you have any questions about the individual strategies, let me know. Just think of all the ways adults sit still during meetings.  We doodle on paper, cross our legs, play with our hair, wiggle our thumbs, tap our fingers, etc . . .



UPDATE:  I now have a activity and song packet on Teachers Pay Teachers for these strategies.  Click HERE to take you to the blog post about my new packet and to listen to the songs. 




Thanks for stopping by!





2 comments:

  1. What a great addition to my "Kathy" collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rita! How sweet you are to post this! Hope you are having a great start to the new school year. Enjoy using your strategy cards. Check back in and let us know how they are working for you.

    ReplyDelete